For the first 5 years of our marriage I did all the grocery shopping by myself. Dan worked nights then, so while he slept during the day, I would go to the store. Once Dan changed jobs his schedule also changed. He no longer worked nights (hallelujah!). But this shift change also meant that he needed to start packing lunches.
I can plan what were having for dinner (I hate that too, but we'll save that for another time), but I will not try to guess what Dan wants for lunch. It's not that he's picky...he's particular. So instead of trying to guess what he wants, he just goes to the store with me. Usually we'll go on the weekend or in the evening. It doesn't change the fact that it's still a chore, but it's much much nicer when he goes.
I don't want you to misunderstand; it's not the actually shopping for food that I hate. What I don't enjoy is driving to the store, carrying all the groceries from the car into the house, and then proceeding to put everything away.
Now that Dan is deployed and I don't have to make dinners for anybody other than myself, I never feel like going to the store. I'll eat whatever is in the pantry and fridge until I can't come up with any more concoctions. I've been eating mostly soup, pasta and cereal since he's been gone. Very little mess, very little cleanup. The other day I actually had raw cabbage and a sweet potato. Hey-it's what was available :)
Eventually I haul my happy little self to the store (usually twice a month, maybe less), and pick up the few item I need to make meals again. I always pick up fresh fruits and veggies and milk. I haven't bought meat(aside from lunch meat and breakfast meat) since Dan's been gone. *Side note: bacon goes with everything.
So my reasons might seem silly to you, but that, folks, is how I handle grocery shopping while the hubby is deployed. And once he's back, I'm sure we'll start going once a week again. But for now I'll keep doing what I've been doing....eating what's available. :)
All this talk of food is making me hungry. I think I'll go heat up some soup......
4 comments:
Brad very rarely goes to the grocery store with me. It's the kids I'd like to go without! I've never really thought of all the "work" involved in getting groceries, loading and unloading them and then putting them all away. Maybe that's why, now that I'm pregnant, I feel like I need a nap when it's all over!! Also, I'm thinking I'd love to have your grocery bill for awhile!! =)
Ditto- I love grocery shopping alone. But I do not like planning meals, coming home, carrying groceries in, putting groceries away and cooking when it's just me. Strangely enough, it also bugs if it's just the girls and me. Need those menfolk around! ;)
I like to cook, but I also like to have people here eating it with me. I'm not sure I would cook for just myself.
Ditto on the bacon comment. It does go with everything. :)
Feel free to stop by sometime and try our treadmill. :) I haven't lost as many pounds as you, but I have lost all the holiday weight and a few of those other pesky hangers-on.
Ditto on the meal planning! YUCK, POOEY!!! I don't cook if it's only me eating, either! What's the point! I agree! Bacon goes with everything!
Post a Comment