Friday, January 14, 2011

And So The Power Struggle Begins

Yes, I'm sure it was wishful thinking, but I was really hoping this deployment would be different- Dog-wise at least. 

During Dan's last deployment, Zeus fought me until the very last month. He wouldn't listen to a word I said, and let me tell you- it was frustrating. Along with that problem, the dogs were all picking on Zelda. It got so bad I was keeping her by herself (she probably preferred that really, but it isn't realistic for real life. My life). No one wanted anybody else looking at them, walking by them, eating near them, coming to me for affection........It.was.chaos.

Flash forward three years, and Dan has left again. The dogs had been great. They all listened, nobody  tried to kill Zelda (hey-I'm really proud of that), and life was moving along smoothly. BUT after I got back from my trip home for Christmas, things had changed.

I smelled mutiny in the air.

Evidently I missed the memo that said I was no longer in charge. You see- I was silly enough to think the dogs would naturally fall under my command after Dan left. Wrong wrong wrong. I guess they had a meeting (to which I was not invited, mind you) to decide on a new leader. Unfortunately I guess the vote was a tie or something because the boys, Zeus and George, have been fighting for that title ever since. Oh sure, at first it was little things like marking in the house. Annoying, but I just started keeping them out of certain room. HAHA- take that! I'll show you who's boss!

But when I came home from work today I found out quickly that I was mistaken. Things had progressed:. Zeus was limping.

I quickly examined his leg, to find two puncture wounds on his right front leg near his paw. It was obviously swollen and since he wouldn't put any weight on it, I had to get it checked out. So after grumbling about how this was NOT the way I planned to spend my afternoon (picture more along the lines of sitting outside with a book), I called the vet. Yes, I know I work at a vet, but we don't have an x-ray machine so that was out of the question. The vet sedated him, cleaned up the wounds and x-rayed his paw. Thankfully it's not broken, but he is staying there overnight for observation (and to give mom a break for a bit).

So now the battle for Power begins.  If we're going to make it through the next 5 month alive, some dogs (namely four) are going to have to jump on board with the fact that I am the boss.

I am I am I am. Picture me stomping my foot if you must

The fun, carefree days are over until Dan gets back. :) Crates will be utilized again. Toys will be limited. More rooms will be blocked. Gruel will be served....kidding, kidding. But really- we'll see how all this plays out. All I know is, I don't want to take anymore trip to the vet unless I'm getting paid to be there.

5 comments:

Karen said...

First of all - sorry the dogs are putting you through this. If it makes you feel better, your nieces do the same thing to me. All.the.time. Picture me stomping my foot if you must.

Second of all - you are a great and funny writer and I'm not sure I've ever told you that. I actually LOL'd at this post. ;)

Love you! (And your crazy dogs, too!)

Kimberly Pitman said...

Okay, I chuckled. I didn't laugh. And it didn't have anything to do with your writing skills, which are great, btw. :)

I couldn't LOL because I was gasping. That "kill Zelda" event held 3 years ago is just about equivalent to my worst nightmare! And if the dogs are giving you grief this time around I'm panicked!

Don't judge me. I'm your mother. It's my job to worry about you.

Hope everything settles down again soon. And if Pepper doesn't settle down around here maybe we could arrange a trade for awhile. I'm sure a day at your house would make her come back a reformed canine.

Elisabeth said...

Time to call the Dog Whisperer!! Hope you get them under control soon!

Dan said...

TACKLE EM'

Vicky said...

Oh! YIKES! Hope things get ironed out soon with the dogs!