I'd rather not tell this story, as it is embarrassing, but it's also funny (as most embarrassing stories are) so I might as well.
First, left me clarify that I do cook on a regular basis. I had a break from all my normal domestic duties while Dan was away to school, but other then that I'm not new to the kitchen or anything.
Also, since this story involves a gas oven, I should also mention that although I had an electric one in Goldsboro, I also has a gas one in Phoenix. Now that I've mentioned all that, on to what happened last night.
I wanted to make Dan a really nice dinner. Fix this man anything with meat and potatoes and he is a happy guy. So I did just that. But I also made cooked vegetables and cornbread. I mean, he works hard all day, so I was really trying to make him a nice big meal.
Once I had the meat all marinated and seasoned, I switched the oven to broil (it was aleady hot because I had just finished baking the cornbread). I also moved the top rack to as high as it would go, so the meat would be close to the broiler. Once I thought the broiler was ready I placed the meat in there to cook for a few minutes on either side.
When time was up, I took the meat out to serve. I wish I had taken a picture because the edges were browned but the center of this meat was pink. As in, still has a heartbeat pink. "I guess it's suppose to be rare," I thought
Okay, skip to the part where Dan comes home from work, and sees me taking the london broil out of the oven. I tell him he's just in time and everything is ready to go. We sit down to eat.
He is a good husband and comments on how good everything looks and smells. As we start eating, he also comments on the pink center of the meat. I tell him it's a London broil and I broiled it on either side as long as I was suppose too, so it must be right. He then asks why I was taking it out of the oven when he got home. (?) I politely :) ask what he is talking about. I mean, I have to stick it in the oven to cook (duh!- seriously, men sometimes....) He proceeds to tell me that the broiler is underneath the oven. (!) Ummmmmm................. *Please imagine my mouth hanging open like a fish*
You see, Dan grew up with a gas oven, and he knows how it works. I, on the other hand, grew up with electric and therefore I thought the broiler was in the same location in both ovens. So here's a little tidbit for ya: IT'S NOT! You know that cute little drawer at the bottom of the stove where you store all your extra pots and cooking trays? Well on a gas stove, that's the broiler. So therefore, not only did I have the meat in the the wrong part of the oven, I also had it as far away from the broiler as possible (think back to when I told you I put the rack as high as it would go).
So, I proceeded to turn the broiler back on, put the meat in the proper place, and low and behold- it cooked! Oh the joys of married life!
7 comments:
I can't begin to tell you how many times I have worked so hard on a meal just to have to go out to eat because it was horrible!! It only means you are doing your job!! =)
I had no idea! I've only ever cooked with electric. I hope the London Broil turned out better once it was actually broiled.
Miss you! We went to Mom's today and in the car as I unbuckled her Sweet Pea asked, "Hey, where's Onyx?" She didn't mention you or the other dogs. Just Onyx. ;)
Too funny. I strained the gravy over the sink one Thanksgiving. All in the strainer was the lumps. Gravy down the sink. We've all got cooking tales. I grew up with a gas stove too so I thought as I read I might know where the story was going. We live and we learn.:-)
How's life in Nevada for the doggies?
Hope all is well.
Donna
Haha! Wow. I had no idea it was any different in a gas stove!! At least it wasn't one of those "everybody but me knows this". ;)
Glad it turned out alright in the end...but it was funny. :)
Morgan
Ummm....I have a gas stove, and my broiler is in the same place as my regular oven. I have a cute drawer for pans. :) So, you can tell him, THERE! ha ha
Funny story, though.
I grew up with a gas stove and oven (just ask Grandma). You'll notice that I haven't cooked on one since. I guess that means I didn't help with the cooking even once out there in Phoenix, unless it was to put something in the crockpot!
I grew up on a gas stove, too, but didn't remember that the broiler was in the drawer! However, I didn't do any broiler-type of cooking, lol, so had no reason to know!
Post a Comment