Wednesday, October 22, 2008

Class experiences

One of my friends from church asked me to go with her to a kickboxing class yesterday. I was more than a little hesitant. My one other experience in a aerobics class earlier this summer was not good. If you haven't heard that story yet, I'll just enlighten you a little. The room was surrounded with mirrors. The instructor...well, lets just say she was really really hyped up (I was sure she was on something). We didn't go over the moves before we started this veryfastpacedroutine. Everyone in the room had done this routine before (except me). Long story short- I ended up looking totally ridiculous (arms and legs flailing, constantly facing the wrong direction), and thanks to the surrounding mirrors, everyone could see. It.Was.Embarrising.

I had no plans of ever putting myself in that situation again, but my friend asked, and so yesterday I decided to give this kickboxing class a shot. My friend had never done it, so I had the reassurance that I wouldn't be the only newbie in the group. We got there and walked into the gym where the class was to be held. We looked around. This couldn't be right. It was a gym full of men!

I could tell my friend was just as uncomfortable as I was, and after a few uncertain minutes I was sure we were going to book it out of there. But......we gathered up what little bit of courage we had, and slinked into the very back row (we weren't feeling front row courageous).

My friend knew the instructor, and although we couldn't understand a word she was saying (headset in gym- not a good mix), she was very easy to follow. We did the routine slowly the first time (thank you!) and then we did it two more times at a very fast pace. Unlike my last experience, this class was great. Very easy to follow, and I didn't feel like a fish out of water. Or course I still didn't look very graceful (I'm not sure that'll ever happen), but the good news was that most of the men looked just as silly as we did. Oh, and another big plus- NO MIRRORS!

I think I'll go back again next week. I'm super sore this morning, so I know I did something right.

2 comments:

Karen said...

You're on a pretty big physical fitness kick these days, aren't you?

I...stretch sometimes. ;)

Anonymous said...

What a great follow-up to the toe-touching achievement!

Love ya!

Mom