I was able to sneak a few hours in at the Vet last night and today. Yesterday we did appointments, and I was able to observe their procedures for everything. Once I feel comfortable with their computer system I will have my own room ( yes, completely alone) where I will give vaccines, draw blood, and do a general health checks on the animals (Checking ears, eyes, heart,etc..). Of course I can't diagnose anything (obviously if I spotted unusual the Vet would have to take a look), but you do a general wellness check to see if they're okay for shots. We are a small clinic with a part time Vet, so I won't come in contact with too many truly sick animals (unlike my previous vet job). We don't do any surgeries, and we don't board or hospitalize animals, so that makes my job a lot easier.
Since I'll be around animal constantly, and I'll be counting on the owners to hold their animals while I check them over, I needed to get my rabies vaccine. We didn't have much going on today at the clinic so we decided to run over to the hospital and get it done while we could. You get your first vaccine, and then after 1 week you get another, and then the third and finally shot is given 21 days later. It was voluntary at my last job so I hadn't bothered, but here it's mandatory.
When we got to the hosiptal the nurse informed me that I also had to recieve the H1N1 to work there, and I might as well update my regular flu shot (recomended annually when you have asthma), and my Tetnus shot is due in July so why not just get it over with. Uh, because I don't enjoy getting poked over and over? But anyway, four shots later I left with two sore arms, and some very cool crayola bandaids.
So that was my Friday. I'm hoping Dan will take pity on me and let me have or do whatever I want tonight, but I have a feeling we'll still end up watching basketball........ I mean, what's the point of all those shots if you can't milk it a little?!
3 comments:
WOW! Your vet is soooo much different from both vets I worked for! Besides that we did surgeries and boarding and hospitalized pets, they would never consider letting us decide if the pets were ok for their shots! That is strictly vet. After they checked out the pets then we did everything else they needed. I can't believe you have to rely on owners to hold their own pets. That just seems crazy to me, almost like you're asking to get bit! Weird, but cool! I'm glad you're back in there doing what you want. It this vet a lot different from what you're used to? Can't wait to continue hearing more about it!
I've found as I've gotten older the cool kiddie bandaids really don't help the pain. ;-)
Donna
Sounds like we were both used as pin cushions last week. BTW, all my tests came back good so I no prescriptions needed for anything (b/p, cholesterol, etc.). Hip-hip, hooray!!!!
Hope your sore shoulders get to feelings better soon. I know how much you hate needles (believe me, I KNOW!) so you must really want this job very much. :)
Love,
Mom
Post a Comment