Saturday, November 1, 2008

Halloween 2008

A friend of ours was having a costume party for Halloween, and since we are too old to trick-or-treat, and our neighborhood doesn't pass out candy, we thought it might be fun to dress-up. We knew a week before the party that we were going, so that gave us time to get some costumes (unlike last year, when we were running around Target the actual night of to find Dan a costume that actually had all the pieces). Anyhow, we couldn't spend a lot of money A. because we don't have it B. you're only going to wear the silly thing once. I decided to be a peacock, and I wanted to make the costume if at all possible. This was mostly because I could control the cost of the garmet and also because all the womens costumes seem to be way too sexy. I found some good ideas online so I knew what to shoot for. I decided I'd like to try and make a corset. Big mistake. The main problem was the material I chose to use. It was costume satin and it unravels like crazy! It was horrible to work with, and then the boning kept wanting to poke thru. After a lot of hot glue, pins and extra fabric, I finally got something that I thought would be safe to wear all night. Much to my relief it did make it thru the night, and we had a great time. Oh, and in case you can't tell from the pictures, Dan is a Chippendale dancer (we got the idea from the Chris Farley bit on SNL). It was too funny....
Me and Dan
My Peacock outfitThe side viewMy tail (I put Velcro on it so it could be removed)Dan in his Chippendale costume

The host was "Dog the bounty hunter"

Anyhow, we had a great time, and I hope everyone else had a fun and safe Halloween!

2 comments:

Kimberly Pitman said...

I love your costume! And you'd look sexy in anything. You did a good job putting it all together. I'm not sure where you got all those creative genes. Not from me, that's for sure. I think of my sewing machine as nothing but an expensive dust collector.

Did you make up a song about a peacock? (See #2 of your "tagged" post.) :)

Love,

Mom

Lisa said...

Thanks for the compliment. I chose to do my own costume because I don't know if you've seen the womens costumes lately, but the skirts don't even cover your rear end! I knew if I made it, I could at least make the skirt longer!