Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Confessions

I do not like the infant stage

There. I said it.

So before you even ask:

Yes, I love my son

No, I do not hate being a mother.

No, this isn't something I just realized after having a baby.


I have always preferred toddlers. I know they keep you busy, and they talk back, but I like that age! I like the sass and attitude that comes with that age group.

I can't wait until Roman is old enough to play at the park or listen at story time. I want to be able to build forts, and play in the mud with him. I'm not afraid of dirt. I have four dogs if you remember :)

Right now this infant stage seems so tedious. I don't like the game, "Guess why I'm crying". I don't like that he doesn't understand why he has to stay in the car seat while we are driving.  I don't like being stuck in a chair holding him while he naps.

And before you start telling me that I need to savor every moment, please remember- you did NOT enjoy every moment. Every moment is not wonderful. Some moments are difficult. Some moments you feel like pulling your teeth out. Some moments you would give anything just to have that baby finally fall asleep like he so obviously wants to do.

Thankfully there are those other moments: the smiles, the coos, learning something for the first time. It's exciting, and I can't tell you how much my heart swells every time I see his sweet, toothless grin.  I know I will miss this closeness when he is older and doesn't need me to hold him constantly or feed him. But now is not that time. Now I am excited the weeks and months are flying by, because it means everyday he's getting a little older. Everyday he is getting a little more comfortable in this world and gaining some independence.

Some day soon he will need me to chase him around as he speed crawls around the house. Or hold his hand when he starts walking

And I'm okay with that :)

4 comments:

Karen said...

Great post. (And you are a great mom!)

Now, if only you and I could work out a trade of some sort: our toddler for your baby. Our current toddler is about to drive us all out of our ever-lovin' minds. ;)

Kimberly Pitman said...

We used to parent by the axiom, "This is only a phase and it will pass." Unfortunately each phase was followed by another. (Ask me how I feel about the teen years. Jk.) Some phases were great and others were enough to drive me out of my ever-loving mind. But you know that, don't you, because as my second-oldest you witnessed many of those "phases"?!

Elisabeth said...

Love hearing real posts from people going thru real life but I have to say, Im the opposite. I crave the new baby phase. Hence the baby when Ryan was Almost 4 1/2! Her toddler phase is making me COO COO! I guess that would also explain why seeing my kids grow up is so hard. My little babies are gone! I've always wondered how moms can be so ok with their kids growing up and just enjoying every bit of it. I have always struggled with that. I want them little forever. I've been Working on this 8 yrs now. When he is running you ragged, I bet you will say at least once that you miss your little immobile, wordless baby. :)

fox.laura26 said...

Drew and I were just having this conversation about Phoebe! We both agreed that this new phase was our favorite. I have always enjoyed my children as babies but even more once we get past the one year mark. It was such a relief when Phoebe started to use words and gestures more than crying to communicate.

Love you,
Laura