Sunday, July 1, 2012

Cedar Chest: Part 2

After removing the old veneer from the damaged side, I needed something to recover it with. I found this product at Lowes
It comes in a roll, and all I had to do was iron it on. Really, it was that simple. I trimmed the edge after I let the product dry for 24 hours.
Once the veneer had fully cured, I stained it with a mixture of these two stains.
I used the same stain mixture on the trim (also from Lowes).
I cut the moulding using my miter saw. The wood splintered slightly on the back, so I sanded those areas down to give it a smooth edge

Next, with Dan's help, we reupholstered the top using a fabric I bought when we lived in Goldsboro. I was a little hesitant to use such a structured pattern, but with Dan's help, we were able to get it faily even. I attached the fabric to the previous board using my heavy duty stapler.

 
 Here is a picture of the repaired side with the new veneer.
And here is the final piece:

3 comments:

Karen said...

Awesome!

(And I'm serious about posting this to some of those DIY blog parties. You are talented in this arena!)

Lisa said...

Thanks! I'm not actually sure how to "link up" :/

Kimberly Pitman said...

Whoa! It's beautiful!

(You really should take pictures of Dan holding fabric for you. :) )