Thursday, November 11, 2010

Coming out of the woodwork

Life seems to be flying by. I just noticed I haven't posted a blog since Dan's birthday, but it feels like that was only yesterday! Most of my time is spent in the "normal" routine- working at the vet, cooking, cleaning, taking care of the dogs, etc. We have been doing some work on the house to get it ready for our first company at Thanksgiving. Dan's family will be coming and we're really excited to host it. 

We're making a little more progress on the yard, but I think most of the projects will have to wait until the spring. We did get our last tree in the ground about a month ago, but it's finally getting cold here, and I don't feel confident planting anything else. The patio project keeps getting moved to another month due to limited funds (life, as it seems always has other plans), but we did buy a fire pit last week, and we've already been enjoying it.

We had our first Halloween in our new house. The street that we lived on in Goldsboro never passed out candy, so this was the first time we were able to have trick-or-treaters.  I'm sure you're wondering how we kept the dogs from crowding the door every time the doorbell rang, but the answer to that problem was a baby gate. I sat on one side and waited for the door, and nobody ever made it over (much to their dismay). George did finally climb into my lap with some help from Dan, but that only lasted a few minutes before I set him back on the other side.

On another note, Dan will be leaving soon for another deployment. I'm definitely not excited about it, but  that's life, and that's definitely life in the military. Due to safety concerns I won't be posting anything about where he is and what he'll be doing, but we ask that you keep him in your prayers.  If the time he's gone goes by as quickly as it has been lately, I'll be happy.

And- in honor of Veterans day, here is the most recent picture I have of Dan in his uniform
Handsome as ever :)

And a big thank you to all others that serve or have served (including my pappaw). Your sacrifice and hard work does not go unnoticed


4 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww deployments are no fun (I have a sweet neighbor who's Husband is away!) we'll be praying for you and your sweetie!!!!

Vicky said...

Sounds like things are going well for the two of you! Be sure and tell Sarah and Steve I said hello!

Definitely praying for a speedy return and safety for Danny!

Kimberly Pitman said...

Thank you, Dan, for serving our country! We love and appreciate you!

And thank you, Lisa, for allowing him to do his job. We know it isn't easy watching someone you love leave for extended periods of time.

On a more positive note - or I hope you take it that way - I'm making my plans to be there in less than a month. And I can't help making a mother-in-law joke out of it. It looks like Dan would rather leave for military active duty than to be in the house when his m-i-l comes to visit! :)

(If it were true I wouldn't joke about it. What a blessing my additional 3 sons are!)

Elisabeth said...

Praying for you and Dan when he leaves! I know that's got to be no fun. He is looking a lot like his dad! Tell his parents I said hello too. I remember spending the night with Sarah LONG ago and Danny fulfilling his role as annoying little brother! =) Maybe some day he'll be stationed in WV...