Friday, June 29, 2012

Cedar Chest

I bought this cedar chest for $40 off Craiglist. It was beat up, but for the price, I couldn't pass it up. 


The trim that wrapped around the entire piece was damaged, but instead of re-staining the original, I decided to start fresh. First, I removed the old trim
Also, the veneer was significatly damaged on the left side.
 So I started scraping off the old veneer panel using a putty knife  (I know there are better tools, but I use what is handy) :)
Then I removed the uphostered top (not original to the piece) to discover what kind of damage was underneath. It's ugly, but superficial. I still plan to reupholster the top, because I like the idea of using it for a bench as well

That concludes the tear down part of the project. In my next post, I'll show you how I made it beautiful again :)

2 comments:

Kimberly Pitman said...

"Made" it beautiful. As in, you're done already.

I can't wait to see the finished product!

Mom

Karen said...

So cool! You need to share the posts about this with some DIY blog parties.