Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Waiting for My Soldier

I came across this poem on a military forum. Yes, Dan is currently deployed, and I miss him dearly, but it also made me think of all my friends, near and far, who are going through the same thing. Some currently have husbands who are deployed, some are inching closer and closer to that dreaded time, and some are just a few weeks away from a precious homecoming. This is for them...


Waiting for My Soldier

Some people wonder how I do it,
Why I wait for this man.
Because I'm proud of what he does,
I love him because I can.


This "Toughest Job" they speak of,
I volunteered for it.
I promised I would support him,
He knows I'll never quit.

Camoflauge from head to toe,
He's my hero through and through.
Standing there so tall and proud,
I love my soldier, it's true.

While he's gone, the days grow long,
The nights are even longer.
I try to tell myself everyday,
This distance will make us stronger.

It matters not how far he is,
Nor how long he is gone.
He knows I'm waiting with open arms,
Here for him when he comes home.

But for now I patiently wait,
I take it a day at a time
No matter what I know it's worth it,
Because I can call that soldier Mine.

-Unknown

3 comments:

Karen said...

Now you've gone and made me tear up.

Love you (and Dan)! Can't wait to see you.

Kimberly Pitman said...

You are both my heroes.

Love,

Mom

Vicky said...

Yeah, you made me tear up, too! We are proud of our soldier friends and family, too! THANKS to both of you for your sacrifice!