February is dental month (if you're interested). All of our dogs are getting older, so I decided to get their teeth cleaned. Our Veterinarian offered to come in on a non clinic day, so I could do the dentals. I.was.ecstatic. She knows I'm enrolled in school to be a veterinary technician and she's more than willing to help me with my training.
After we decided on a date, I had to decide which dogs would get the dentals. I picked Zelda and Onyx because they are the oldest (7 *gasp*). I took them in yesterday to do blood work, and since it came back normal, we had the green light to clean their teeth.
I got to do everything! We sedated them, and then I proceeded to put the i.v catheter in so they could have constant fluids during their procedure. Next I had to put their tracheal tubes in place so they would have a steady supply of oxygen and "happy drugs" to keep them asleep. She showed me how to probe and map the mouth. Once we noted any cracks or wear, I was ready to start scaling and polishing. I've seen dentals performed so many times, but I've never been the one actually doing the work. It was quite a learning experience, to say the least.
Once I finished each procedure (Zelda was first), we would put them in a cage to let them wake up from the anesthesia. Zelda woke up freakishly fast (go figure), and she was back to her regular crazy self in no time. A few stumbles and off she went.
Onyx, on the other hand, did not want to wake up. I finished with her at 1, and she still looked like a Zombie up to an hour ago (6 o'clock). I did get her to eat something, but she's still walking around like she's had too much to drink. She just needs to sleep it off.
So today was a win win. I was able to practice dentals, and I now have two dogs with pearly white teeth. The boys are next, they just don't know it yet :)
4 comments:
I love reading your vet posts! Reminds me of my vet days. When I quit working I was a surgery assistant. Monday and Friday were regular surgery days. Wednesday was dental day. The vet tech and I did nothing but dentals all morning. We always looked forward to Wed. There was more than one ocassion when I had to do a dental becuase the vet tech was late or called in or whatever. I loved it!
Now, both my dogs need dentals again but since I don't work there anymore it is quite expensive!! That is one thing I hate about not working at the vet anymore....no more pet ins, discounts and making payments for my own pets' procedures!!
You did a trach?!!!!
Whatever happened to my daughter who needed her mother to hold her while she received her own medical procedures (like immunizations)?
All kidding aside, I'm so glad you're enjoying your job and learning new things. Hope Onyx has sufficiently recovered, too.
That's really cool!!! I think you're gonna make a GREAT Vet. :)
I knew Liz would LOVE this post! I think she misses her job.....but I think she LOVES being a SAHM more! That's a YAY for Hannah, Ryan and Abigail! Thank You, LORD!
Glad you got some GREAT practice, Lisa!
Post a Comment