Sunday, October 3, 2010

Landscaping: Desert Style

Dan and I have been doing some landscaping this weekend. Last week I went with a friend to a nursery that was going out of sale, and I picked up some great deals. I got two of the three trees we want to put in the back, and I bought a few other plants as well. The salesman even gave me some of the plants for free, so it was a good day. But- as beautiful as all these plants were, I still had to get them in the ground before I could really enjoy them. So on Friday I had the mission of getting all my plants in the ground. But the ground wasn't really having it. This soil is like concrete, and it took a pickax to make any sort of progress. I managed to dig one hole, fill it with water to check the drainage, and then I went in and watched a movie. :) Lucky for me, Dan came home from work and was more than willing to help me. He made quick progress of all the other holes (and my poor blistered hands were relieved). There is still plenty more to be done to the back yard, but here is what we planted so far.

Our purple leaf plum tree:

A Fan Tex Ash (We're going to buy one more of these for shade):

Two jasmine vines, two dessert spoons, one trailing rosemary (not pictured) and one trailing lantana.
And now I'm going to give my poor hands a rest

3 comments:

Vicky said...

Great job! The fruits of your labor will help you to forget about the blisters, I'm sure!

Elisabeth said...

Is there grass on that side of the world?!

Kimberly Pitman said...

I agree with Liz! I saw the address on Google Maps and your backyard is pure white! The trees will be a nice addition.

Take care of those blisters, Lisa. You'll want to hold the baby later this week. (Yippee!!!!!)